Parks and Recreation : holly Oak park
Holly Oak Park, part of the Shelby Parks and Recreation Department, offers a great amount of programs for the community to enjoy and participate in. Purchased July 8th, 1949, five acres were transformed into a local park for added community enjoyment. A Recreation Center was built and dedicated on June 1st, 1959, and now contains a Gymnasium with Stage and a lobby containing a pool table, table tennis, air hockey and children's board games.
In April through November 2004, the Holly Oak Center underwent major building renovations
(Click for Photos). The gymnasium, stage, entrance way, lobby, administrative offices, game room, and rest rooms were completely remodeled. Highlights include new heating and air systems, flooring, ceilings, lights, doors, and a fantastic new color sheme throughout the building. The building was officially dedicated and re-opened on December 1, 2004.
Civic groups and other organizations also use this facility as well as the "Old Center" for singings, family gatherings and special events. In addition, Holly Oak Park has a Softball Field, two refurbished Fishing Ponds, Nature Trail, Large Picnic Pavilion, Outdoor Volleyball, Horse Shoes and Playground.
In May 2012 Holly Oak Park recieved a Nourishing North Carolina Grant for an existing Community Garden at the park. This grant allowed for the garden to be expanded and the purchase of a a storage building, tools, irrigation supplies, seeds and other items that will ensure the garden can serve the local community and others. In addition, the garden has been an outstanding opportunity to educate young people about gardening.
To get involved contact Wayne Merritt at 704-484-6824.
2012 Nourishing North Carolina Press Release