Shelby City Council Recap / Summary of Regular Meeting – 01/07/13
1) Wade Nichols, Executive Director of Uptown Shelby Association, updated the Council on the activities of the Uptown Shelby Association.
Under the Consent Agenda City Council
> Approved the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of December 17, 2012.
> Approved a Special Event application from the Cleveland County NAACP for their Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Unity March to be held on January 21st, 2013.
> Approved a resolution accepting and entering into an Agreement with the North Carolina Department of Transportation to accept grant funding in the amount of $727,650 for the Shelby –Cleveland County Regional Airport. The City commits to providing 10% of the total project ($80,850). This agreement requires the City to complete the project as described and to include land acquisition and easements.
In Unfinished Business City Council
> Considered appointments to the Shelby-Cleveland County Regional Airport Advisory Board to fill a current vacancy. Mr. Eric Bester was nominated and appointed to this Board.
> Considered and approved a resolution of an order authorizing the issuance and sale by the City of Shelby, North Carolina of a not to exceed $9,700,000 combined enterprise system revenue refunding bond, Series 2013A, $2,600,000 combined enterprise system revenue refunding bond, Series 2013B, $3,225,000 combined enterprise system revenue refunding bond, Series 2013C, and $1,825,000 combined enterprise system revenue refunding bond, Series 2013D, and authorizing the execution and delivery of certain documents in connection therewith. The net savings in interest cost over the next 17 years is estimated at 1,185,000. The term of the debt remains the same. The anticipated closing date will most likely be on or around January 15th if things proceed as expected.
> Considered but delayed action on Notice of Special Meeting proposed for Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 to conduct a public hearing on proposed economic development incentives for Project Xcel. The Special Meeting date is to be determined by the Mayor once the City is given direction by the State of North Carolina on the timing of the project announcement.
> Considered and approved a resolution authorizing the City Manager to implement a road lane conversion on Warren Street in Uptown Shelby. The restriping of the newly resurfaced Warren Street will allow for a safer pedestrian environment as well as provide striping that would potentially reduce vehicle speeds and allow for safer parallel parking. There is no cost to the City to make these changes.
City Manager’s Report
Heard a report from City Manager, Rick Howell on the following:
1. Connect our Future Open House
2. Farmers Market Lease – will be submitted to City Council for review and approval at its February 4, 2013 regular meeting.
3. Shell Building Status Report – Preliminary drawings are now being reviewed. A late April date for the commencement of construction is anticipated with an October completion date likely.
4. Mall Area Sewer Lift Station – Bids to be opened February 7, 2013.
5. Baldor Area Sewer Lift Station – Work completed in December except for some minor equipment yet to be installed.
6. Budget Retreat date – City Council set the budget retreat for Friday, February 1, 2013 beginning at 9am in the airport conference room.